Source: Nondairy Evolution Cookbook
Makes 1 cup/ 8 servings of 2 Tbsp.
Notes: Don’t leave out the sherry/Sauvignon Blanc wine. It is the flavor key. Can use this on Tempeh Reubens.
- ¾ cup plain soy milk
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- 3 Tbsp. tapioca flour
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. dry sherry or Sav Blanc wine
- 2 tsp white miso
- ½ Tbsp. tahini
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
- ⅛ tsp ground coriander
- In a small saucepan, vigorously whisk together the ingredients until smooth. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring slowly and continually with a flexible spatula.
- As it thickens (be patient, this takes a while), begin stirring vigorously until the cheese becomes very thick, smooth and glossy — BE PATIENT.
- Keep warm over low heat, stirring occasionally, until ready to use. Or pour into a plastic wrap-lined, lidded container, letting it cool before refrigerating. It can be frozen after it solidifies if it’s wrapped in paper towels and put into a zippy bag.