Source: Gentle Chef Cookbook
Makes 1 lb.(?)/20 slices
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (or 1/2 tsp ground)
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 Tbsp liquid aminos
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, finely ground
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In food processor, thoroughly combine dry ingredients.
- In small bowl, thoroughly mix wet ingredients. Add to dry and process until distributed thoroughly.
- On work surface lay out 2 large sheets of 18″-wide heavy-duty foil. Place dough directly on top at one end. Shape dough into pepperoni shape, about 10″ long. Roll up, tootsie-roll style, pinching ends of foil closed as you roll. Twist ends tightly to seal. Repeat with second foil.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake 90 minutes, turning over after 45. Remove from oven and cool to room temp, then place in fridge minimum 8 hours to firm texture.
- When thoroughly chilled, cut off ends and remove from foil.
- Slice as needed. Store in airtight container in fridge up to 10 days or freeze up to 3 months.