Source: Inspired by Nondairy Evolution Cookbook’s Chocolate Gelato
Makes 4 cups/8 servings of 1/2 cup
Notes: First time I made this I didn’t make brewed coffee — I just added the powder to the ice cream base; turned out gritty but tasty. (Goal: duplicate Talenti brand coffee gelato.)
- 1/4 cup espresso powder
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 4 cups vegan light cream (double batch)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp xanthan gum or guar gum
- Mix espresso powder with the boiling water. Let sit 10 minutes before filtering out the grounds.
- Add the coffee and remaining ingredients to Vitamix. Process until smooth and sugar has dissolved.
- Transfer to lidded container and refrigerate until very cold.
- Pour mixture into cupcake molds. Freeze.
- When frozen, add 1 cupcake disk to the Vitamix, adding nondairy milk as necessary to make the blades break up the disk into soft-serve ice cream. Repeat for each serving.